Laptop - I need Some Help

Cr4ckinaB0x

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
Laptop Model:
- Toshiba Satellite C55D-B5310

Operating System
- Windows 8.1

I am trying to install Khali Linux distribution onto my Toshiba Satellite C55D-B5310 series via USB Stick. However, upon installation I am greeted with this message "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key". The BIOS was set to UEFI Boot as then point.

From there I got frustrated, thinking maybe the copy of Linux was a bad copy with corrupted sectors on it. I downloaded and burned to a USB Stick Windows 7 Home Premium. I went inside the system BIOS and tried to change it to CSM Boot.

Restarted and it now displays an underscore in the top left hand of the screen, when I take the USB Stick out it says "Error Loading operating system_" With a blinking underscore on it.

Now, I'm a guy that likes to solve problems, and not get frustrated with it. All my years of reinstalling operating systems on a laptop, and going inside the BIOS. I have to say this make and model is ridiculous. Never again, will I purchase a Toshiba.

That being said, does anyone have a solution to this? Maybe my copy of Windows 7 Home Premium is corrupted.. Please let me know, thank you!

- Cr4ckinab0x

Solution
Some BIOS's can't have an OS installed via USB, OR don't work with usb 3.0. If you are plugging the USB stick into a 3.0 slot, try using a 2.0 slot. I had this issue with Puppy distro of Linux, had to get a different version of Puppy linux that can install via usb 3.0.

Xyos

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Some BIOS's can't have an OS installed via USB, OR don't work with usb 3.0. If you are plugging the USB stick into a 3.0 slot, try using a 2.0 slot. I had this issue with Puppy distro of Linux, had to get a different version of Puppy linux that can install via usb 3.0.

Solution
D

Deleted member 1697763

You can't UEFI install Kali Linux at this point - there are some complex workarounds but it's not worth it. Just set your computer to use legacy boot in the bios.

Cr4ckinaB0x

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
I just bought some CD's with enough storage to burn Windows & Khali on separate disc's. I will boot Windows in UEFI mode to see if it works in a few moment's. I appreciate your help "PizzaTheHutt", and "Xyos".