Laptop internet speeds clock far lower than my desktop. How to fix?

wassaaaaaaaaaap

Estimable
Jun 9, 2014
I am not a big tech guy so bear with me. I have a 100 mbps internet service. My desktop (4years old) is wired in to the modem and clocks speed typically in the 90+ mbps range consistently. It was custom built so I don't remember what was put in it however I have 2 recently purchased Lenovo I7 laptops ( models G510 and Z710) purchased in the last 6 months. Both clock in the 30-40 mbps range consistenly. I use them wireless normally. I wanted to know why such a big difference in speed so I tried these things: 1. plugging ethernet directly in from router 2. use ethernet cable running into desktop to plug into laptop. 3. place laptop within a foot of router wireless and wired. I get the same results. I read somewhere that it may have to do with the wireless card. Can anybody help me out and explain to me what the problem is and how to fix it , if possible.

wassaaaaaaaaaap

Estimable
Jun 9, 2014
Did the test on all 3 one right after the other using same ethernet that connects into deskto2. Desktop clocked 88mbps, g510 clocked 38mbps, and z710 clocked 29 mbps. I have no idea why they clock such different speeds.

pm4

Estimable
Apr 28, 2014
Do you disable your wireless connection when you plug it with cable?
It may still use wireless connection, that would explain why it's slower also with plugged cable.

If you use wireless it's normal to have slower speed. Gigabit cable support up to 1000Mbit/s (or 125 MB/s) wireless N connection have speed around 300 Mbit/s (37,5 MB/s).

But it won't reach those speeds ever those are max speeds in ideal condition. So it's normal to have lower speed.

wassaaaaaaaaaap

Estimable
Jun 9, 2014
I don't disable the wireless. I never thought it was still using that since when I plug in the ethernet cable the wireless signal bar changes to the computer with a cable on the side which I thought showed that the wired connection was being used. I will try disabling it though and see how it goes.

pm4

Estimable
Apr 28, 2014

Well it should not use wireless when you have cable plugged, but ... you never know :).