Laptop is suddenly freezing

mirza_3

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016
Hi, I have samsung sens sf310 laptop for almost like 5 years. I had no issues untill I bought it. But, from 2 weeks before it started suddenly freezing. Happened several times. Then, i thought it's hard drive problem. So, I replaced my hard drive with an ssd and install fresh windows 10 pro. Used it for two days intensively. Then, again suddenly it started freezing. now, i don't really know what exactly happened to it. It runs perfectly smooth when everything is okay, no lag nothing at all. Then, it suddenly hangs and no response. Only pressing power button for few seconds shut it down and after that it runs again okay. No overheating issues so far I can feel in normal condition with my hand. Please let me know if someone knows what actually got wrong. It came with 3GB ram built in, I upgraded to 6GB before may be 2.5 years. Is there any possibility that ram could go wrong? N:B I casually play league of legends and asphalt 8. Other than that just normal tasks like browsing through chrome(64bit) and thats all. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :(

Solution
This sounds like it could be a RAM problem. I would troubleshoot that theory by taking the module(s) out and seeing what happens. A bad RAM module definitely fits your issues here.

thejackal85

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016
This sounds like it could be a RAM problem. I would troubleshoot that theory by taking the module(s) out and seeing what happens. A bad RAM module definitely fits your issues here.

Solution

mirza_3

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016

Alright I'm currently doing Memtest86+, probably will run untill I wake up tomorrow morning. Let's see what it comes with. Mind if I ask how many passes needed to make sure its faulty or not?

mirza_3

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016

I see but I actually did checked my ram. Nothing looked wrong, at least for my knowledge what I've got. I've no idea whats wrong with this laptop. It doesn't even get warm when freezing. May be I should replace the ram and check again. But if it's not the ram problem then It'll probably be throwing my money into water :(

thejackal85

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016
You won't see anything visually wrong. RAM modules don't burst if they overheat or anything, they fry up. So if it turns out it was recent, you might be able to smell the modules and smell a faint sweet/sour smell.

mirza_3

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016

Now we r talking. I think I can at least do that. Thanks for the much appreciated answer.

mirza_3

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016

But one thing bothers me that in system it's showing my total ram memory and when the freezing isn't happening, the laptop is so okay like ever before. So what will make that smell(if exists) so sure that my ram is faulty cause it's properly performing while okay.

thejackal85

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016
RAM modules have lots of smaller parts in casings that can fry up when they are overheated. Depending on the severity of (if they are) somewhat fried, it might appear to function normally. RAM modules are tricky items, depending on how bad they are damaged, they might continue to work or they can cause your PC to blue screen out. Just depends on the severity of its damage.

mirza_3

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016

Looks like I've found the smell on the ram installed on the motherboard. The one which is replaceable seems okay. Worth to mention my laptop has only one expandable ram slot. The thing is the smell could also be from the processor too cause it's just the neighboring part of that pre-installed ram. I was wondering what makes them work just right after a hard restart. Really confusing and annoying kind of issue.