Laptop just blue screened. Not sure why

JamieDee

Estimable
Nov 16, 2015
Hello. so I literally just got home and switched on my laptop. it has been working fine and i have had no issues, then suddenly, when I switch it on, it bluescreened. Then restarted the system and booted normally. It took a lot longer to sign into my account and load in my desktop. I have no idea why this has happened. I did recently install a new hard drive that kept telling me it wasn't recognised at first, then it has been fine since. Not sure if that helps. I hope I can fix this possible issue as I worry a lot about my laptop as I am a complete PC noob. Thanks for your time

popatim

Splendid
If you are running windows 8 or 10 then it was probably a file corruption in the quick startup function. You see w8 or 10 dont really shut down, they enter a hybrid state alot like hibernation. So when you turn them on they really resume instead and give you that super quick startup. I'm guessing that when you bluescreened - it forced a full restart which is why it took a bit longer to boot up since it was a normal startup instead of the 'Resume'.

If that's the case its nothing to worry about. It happens from time to time. If you're ever interested in doing a true power off shutdown, like if you needed to install ram or something, just hold down shift while you click 'Shutdown'.