Laptop keeps hanging

Leervd

Prominent
Feb 7, 2017
Hi guys
So lately my laptop has been hanging almost every time I use it after a few hours of usage. I really can't describe more than just the whole OS freezes and then I have to restart. The only solution to the problem is a hard restart. I have a 2013 Alienware 14 with windows 7. If anyone could think of any suggestion I would be grateful. Thanks.

Solution
When was the last time you ran virus and malware checks on it? That is where I would start. Using more than one program for each kind (and not basic programs either, good deep scans).

Then check your system for what programs are auto starting when you boot up and enter windows. Is there anything running that shouldn't be?

Should the problem continue. I would use chkdsk (and any other drive checking programs) to make sure that there are no problems with the hard drive.

Also, you should install and run temp monitoring software to make sure the that cause of the freezing isn't due to overheating. If it is that can do some serious damage if left unchecked/unresolved.
When was the last time you ran virus and malware checks on it? That is where I would start. Using more than one program for each kind (and not basic programs either, good deep scans).

Then check your system for what programs are auto starting when you boot up and enter windows. Is there anything running that shouldn't be?

Should the problem continue. I would use chkdsk (and any other drive checking programs) to make sure that there are no problems with the hard drive.

Also, you should install and run temp monitoring software to make sure the that cause of the freezing isn't due to overheating. If it is that can do some serious damage if left unchecked/unresolved.

Solution