Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
My laptop specs are
Asus U56E
Intel core i5-2410 CPU @ 2.30GHz
6 GB Ram
64-bit operating system; x64-based processor
Windows 10 Home

My laptop for the last couple weeks has been shutting down quite consistently. It shuts down and starts up immediately 99% of the time and seems to last anywhere from 20 minutes to 40 minutes max before doing so. It seems like I'm using far to much disc space according to the Task Manager. Usually due to my BullGuard Anti Virus updating, or Service Host Local Service (Network Restricted), or currently the System file is the one running very high.
I can't really stream or use Google due to this, as even now it is red lining my disc space just being on, and it doesn't appear to really be using that many MB/s in task manager, but still maxing out my disk column.
Any ideas as to why it may have started doing this just recently?
Also, now that's it's been on for 5 minutes, and no browser open, CPU and Disk are back at 0% or 1%. Not sure what to do really.
Thanks for any help in advance

Solution
check on your other pc to see if has same data & power cables that plug into your sick drive. I do that all the time if I don't use my external sata drive adapter.

Bluntduffman

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
Don't know why I didn't think of that. Trying now, thanks. Crossing my fingers that it solves it.

Frustrating. Right after it finished restoring, roughly 20-30 minutes, as I entered my password for reboot it crashed again, turned off and then back on after 3-4 seconds... Before it even fully turned on again. And again a second time.
I can't even log in now without it restarting.... Any suggestions?

Bluntduffman

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
Haven't tried safe mode. Got it to turn on, but was super slow, and it's been peaking on Disc under the Task Manager since it turned on, so I'm pretty sure that's the issue. No idea how to fix it, but that seems to be the culprit.
My laptop should be able to handle windows 10... Or so I thought
Is it possible my antivirus program is causing this? Or is that common?
Though I've turned that off now and I'm still red lining my Disk %, mostly windows processes :/

ffg7

Splendid
laptop is capable of running win 10. run a scandisk on the hard drive both for software corruption & bad sectors of the drive itself. might have to run that in safemode if it shutsdown in normal mode. do you have a spare laptop hard drive or can borrow 1 for testing purposes?

Bluntduffman

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
So.... Ive run a check on the drive through properties on the C Drive and using tools to run a check and it says there are no problems on the drive... Any other suggestions or is my laptop just fried?

Bluntduffman

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
Safe mode seemed fine.... So I ended up using command prompt and typed in the command
chkdsk C: /f /r /x
Had to restart the computer to make that work, and it's now at 13% complete and has been there for 5 minutes or so. The article I read said I may lose some data and if the disk is failing some sick space as well... Hoping it fixes the issues

Bluntduffman

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
It completed and restarted... Nothing changed, still bouncing from 99-100% Disk for the first 5-10 minutes of start up, back to 0%, only to spike back at 85-99% minutes later. Running it one more time

Bluntduffman

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
I have another decent PC and a very very old laptop that hasn't been turned on in years. Don't think I'll need them now though. The second chkdsk through command prompt seems to have corrected it. It still peaks out through start up, but that only lasted a couple minutes and I've now been using it for over an hour with no issues. My Disk seems to be staying at a 0% to 5%
Thank ypu for the advice, really appreciate it

Bluntduffman

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
When I ran the command:
chkdsk C: /f /r /x
It didn't seem to work, however when I ran the second time I ran the command:
chkdsk C: /f /r
I left out the "x" and it seemed to correct the issue.... At least thus far

Status
Not open for further replies.