Laptop keeps stuttering and lagging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikhil Arora

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
I have an hp pavilion dv4 2112tu notebook, i5 430m , 3gb ram . I didn't have any problems with it since recently . since a couple of months , my laptop has been lagging and stuttering while both heavy and light tasks . Videos , music , games browsing everything stutters quite frequently . I've tried updating all drivers , bios , multiple virus checks , stopping any useless services and programs but to no avail .Also i would like to mention a strange behaviour , in the resource monitor , cpu freq is being listed as 100% while cpu usage under whatsoever task doesn't go beyond 30-50%. also a program , ex - firefox would be running normally , with it's cpu usage around 15-20 , then all of a sudden it wouldfall down to 2-3 and lagging starts . this would continue and after 3-4 reboots it'd get back to normal but after sometime the same starts again . Any Solutions ?
Thanks.

ganon11000

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Run Malwarebytes Free and run a full scan of the computer to see if it is a virus.

Next if you go to task manager -> processes and click the show all processes you can see what is using the CPU.

If your still having issues download a DPC Checker (I recommended latencymon) and see if you have DPC issues.

Nikhil Arora

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013

Virus check - no virus , no useless process running.
In latencymon , first i ran it with wlan adapter on and got this :
Capture_zps4d40534a.jpg

Then with the wlan adapter off got this :
Capture1_zpsc2b400dc.jpg

Bios is updated , what to do now ?

Nikhil Arora

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013

Rarely , perhaps I don't get this in safe mode . That's when i updated all my drivers and all but nothing happened . It was all the same .

Nikhil Arora

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013

I get this behavior even while browsing , videos , music too . So can't be a game right ?

The message the latency utility spat out is not surprising as Windows is not a real time operating system, so inherently there tends to be DPC latency.

I'm not sure that THAT is the problem, though. If you're not experiencing these issues under Safe Mode or a diagnostic boot, then the problem is probably software related. You can spend time narrowing it down, or you can back up your data and reinstall the OS. The latter isn't ideal - ever - but it often does save time.

There is no power management driver. The rest of the info is relevant though (just note that sometimes driver updates cause more problems than they address, so if a current driver fails to resolve it, try another version).

Status
Not open for further replies.