Question Laptop keeps turning off (fan and temperature fine)

Feb 7, 2019
Hey there guys,

I've been trying to salvage my 8 year old Acer Aspire 4750G. Been having problems with it turning off randomly, even while not in use i.e. no prompted programs running - sometimes a couple of minutes after startup.

Firstly, I thought this was a fan/cooling problem. Replaced the fan, cleaned the heatsink and applied new thermal paste. Only thing I must mention, is there were some thermal pads/stickers around my graphics card that are attached to the heatsink mount, which do look a bit worn out but have not been replaced. (Would love if anyone would be able to tell me precisely what these are called, been looking for them online but when I search for thermal pads/stickers, you can guess the main item that keeps popping up).
Checked the temperature of the cores, nothing is exceeding 62-64deg.

Next, I thought it could be the power supply, but it will shut down while operating entirely on the battery. So, ruled that out.

I'm thinking of updating the bios if it stays on for long enough... Do you think this could be significant? It is an 8 year old laptop and the drivers I can find are very limited.

This problem has seriously been doing my head in (been super fun too). On the verge of giving up and buying a new one :(

Would really appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

dimasadyuta5

Great
Nov 27, 2018
Hey there guys,

I've been trying to salvage my 8 year old Acer Aspire 4750G. Been having problems with it turning off randomly, even while not in use i.e. no prompted programs running - sometimes a couple of minutes after startup.

Firstly, I thought this was a fan/cooling problem. Replaced the fan, cleaned the heatsink and applied new thermal paste. Only thing I must mention, is there were some thermal pads/stickers around my graphics card that are attached to the heatsink mount, which do look a bit worn out but have not been replaced. (Would love if anyone would be able to tell me precisely what these are called, been looking for them online but when I search for thermal pads/stickers, you can guess the main item that keeps popping up).
Checked the temperature of the cores, nothing is exceeding 62-64deg.

Next, I thought it could be the power supply, but it will shut down while operating entirely on the battery. So, ruled that out.

I'm thinking of updating the bios if it stays on for long enough... Do you think this could be significant? It is an 8 year old laptop and the drivers I can find are very limited.

This problem has seriously been doing my head in (been super fun too). On the verge of giving up and buying a new one :(

Would really appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!
i have the same problem with my also 8 year old laptop. but the heatsink are quite destroyed that time. i don't know how to fix your laptop but let me gave you some advice:
-check how many power your graphics card, cpu, and ram draws (the TDP)
-check your battery condition
-check your CMOS battery (this could be the problem why flashing your BIOS don't help fixing the auto-shutdown)
-and finally, if the power drawn from the ram slot, socket, and pcie slot is smaller than the TDP of your gear, you should consider buying a less powered gears instead.