Laptop keyboard not working

samhelm

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016
Yesterday various, seemingly random keys across my laptop began behaving irregularly, either becoming completely unresponsive or doing things like continuing to input a character even when the key had been released. It works with an external usb keyboard. I have tried reinstalling keyboard and touch pad drivers, reconnecting the ribbon cable, cleaning the keyboard, running anti virus scans and experimenting with applying pressure to different parts of the keys and disassembling and reassembling them. I'd prefer to avoid trying reinstalling the os and drivers completely or buying a new keyboard. I have no warranty. It is an Asus x550c running windows 10 64bit. Any help would massively appreciated. Thanks a lot!

galennare

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
If it works with an external keyboard then your keys probably haven't been reassigned. The keyboard has probably shorted out. I'd recommend replacing the keyboard if you can. Check to make sure that its consistently the same keys every time. If it is you could have a hardware problem.