Laptop locks up frequently

MavMurdoc

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
My father has a new Toshiba laptop, and it's been running fine for a few months now. Just recently his computer has been locking up frequently. I've just come home on leave, and haven't been here for most of the problems, but I'm doing everything I can to try and fix it.

He wasn't defragging his comp (he thought he was), so that was my first step. After that I've tryed searching for reasons his computer would lock up. I don't know if it's Vista that is the problem, or if it's a common problem with Toshiba.

I think that it might be a problem with his ram (he has 2gigs). It seems that it only locks up if he is online using Internet Explorer, but the game he plays (he only plays GUN) got sluggish over time (I think that was because he hasn't been defragging).

Any adivce about how I might fix this problem.

Cody

P.S. He has a virus that pops up from time to time called fauxvirus/carny_ride.exe, but Norton seems to get rid of it everytime it pops up. I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling that the virus isn't the real problem (looks sideways at Vista).

MavMurdoc

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
Just wanted to add that I went into the system settings and bumped up is virtual memory. It was on automatic, and using only 2337mb. I moved to min was 3055 and max was 3072 (that is what some other guy recomended on a site I looked at.

naslicer

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
dear mav,
i wish to know if the locking your talking about is actually shunting down or standby. if it standby then you need to increase the time for screen server

MavMurdoc

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
I'm not sure what exactly you're asking. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with either.

Since I've been home it seems to only happen when I've been online for a little while, or just gotten offline. I thought it might be a problem with Internet Explorer, so I got my dad to download Firefox. Worked great for several hours with no problem. But then, as I was loading myspace, it locked up.

When it locks up. It just freezes where you're at online or on the desktop (usually online though).

I'm stumped. I'm thinking that since it ran so well for so long, then locked up that it might be a problem with something inside overheating.

If any of you have any ideas, please let me know. Thank you.

cheaptofix

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
well you just have to change the ram or remove one of them and see what happens if the same occurs then change the hard drive with a brand new one and install os and that fixes it. I don't think its the graphic problem because the game works and it's not overheating it. because it also locks when processor or graphic overheats.

cheaptofix

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Oh! forgot try this, remove the battery and just use the AC adaptor and see wat happens, sometimes the battery starts to take power of the laptop and causes it to freez. usualy on acer models. hope I helped.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Here's something to try. . . ugh. . . it's a long shot and kinda techical but try re-initializing the TCP/IP stack. Basically, to do that, you open a command prompt and do the following:

Code:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Otherwise, you can completely uninstall and re-install TCP/IP protocols