Laptop makes static noises through headphones.

Culture

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017
My laptop makes static noises through my headphones, even if the audio is completely off. It's not my headphones that is the problem, it works fine on my iPod. When I play audio it's layered with heavy static noises and distortion of the audio that I'm playing. There is no static noise when I play audio through the speakers. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Solution
A few possibilities. The jack on the laptop could be dirty. With the laptop turned off, use an old toothbrush(or similar) w/ alcohol & brush around in the jack. If it's a matter of it not being a "snug" fit, you could try some electrical contact grease. The last possibility is a driver related issue. Try re-installing(clean install) the latest driver for the audio and see if that fixes it.

toshibitsu

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
A few possibilities. The jack on the laptop could be dirty. With the laptop turned off, use an old toothbrush(or similar) w/ alcohol & brush around in the jack. If it's a matter of it not being a "snug" fit, you could try some electrical contact grease. The last possibility is a driver related issue. Try re-installing(clean install) the latest driver for the audio and see if that fixes it.

Solution