laptop makes what sounds like a clicking noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaitlin Kaschak459

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
ok so i have an old COMPAQ ARMADA 5200DM that my uncle gave me for free as an xmas gift because i love to tinker with old computers. it has a floppy drive a cd drive and a 3 gig HDD ide with windows 98se on it. powers on fine loads the os ok but i hear a clicking noise from time to time. dont hear the noise every second but i do hear it only when im in the os im guessing the hard drive is going bad any idea whats causing this sound

Solution
You can either disconnect it (if you don't use it), or could find a replacement online. In a machine of that age I'd just disconnect it, and get a USB DVD drive for those rare moments when you need one.

Geekwad

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015
I have always found a stethoscope to be perfect for this task. Taking the back off and starting it to help zero in on the piece of hardware causing the noise is the first step.....

Geekwad

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015
You can either disconnect it (if you don't use it), or could find a replacement online. In a machine of that age I'd just disconnect it, and get a USB DVD drive for those rare moments when you need one.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.