Laptop monitor quality or lighting issue?

LadyKathryn

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
As a hobby, I like to tinker with graphics for websites. Nothing too fancy, as I'm not a professional. This is just for fun. And my problem is this. I have a desktop and a laptop. Sometimes, I do some image editing when I'm on campus, with my laptop. But when I transfer my files back to the desktop, the saturation/brightness/contrast/etc. doesn't look right. This is frustrating, as it means I have to go back and redo things.

I've tried configuring the two displays to match, but I haven't been able to get it to work. Do you think it's a display issue, or maybe a lighting one? My laptop is a basic old Acer, so the display isn't anything special. As for lighting, my desktop is under standard household lighting (incandescent?), whereas my laptop is often under what I assume is florescent lighting. I've heard that this can affect how the display looks. But I really don't know much about this sort of thing, I'm afraid.

I'm looking to buy a new laptop, and I basically want to know if it's worth the extra money to invest in a higher-end screen, like an IPS. If it's just that my current laptop has a poor display, then I'd be willing to pay a bit extra for a better one. But if it's the lighting that's causing me problems, then a better screen might not help any. (Also, if it is the lighting, is there anything I can do to mitigate that?)

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out a bit. Thanks!

Solution
Not sure what "tinkering with graphics for websites for fun" means but much like how you are limited when doing photography with a phone, so will you be when using a laptop screen not designed around color accuracy.

IPS displays are obviously a must have, most TN panels are 6bit dithered. After that I would invest in a color calibration device. This isn't asking much.

Check any laptops you are considering with notebook check, when possible they will offer up color accuracy test.

JeffDaemon

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Not sure what "tinkering with graphics for websites for fun" means but much like how you are limited when doing photography with a phone, so will you be when using a laptop screen not designed around color accuracy.

IPS displays are obviously a must have, most TN panels are 6bit dithered. After that I would invest in a color calibration device. This isn't asking much.

Check any laptops you are considering with notebook check, when possible they will offer up color accuracy test.

Solution