Laptop not booting up and constant clicking sound

amar.s.g

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017
Hi
So I am having some issues with my Samsung laptop. I have had it for 5 years and it's never let me down. But today it started making a constant clicking sound and then stopped working. I have tried rebooting etc but it just doesn't get going.

I've never had any problems with it. I found it a coincidence because I downloaded some fonts from Dafont.com and then this issue occurred shortly after. I wondered if I might have picked something up from these downloads? Or is it just because my computer is old. I do use it an awful lot. I just never seen this coming.

From what I have read i understand it's a hard drive issue. How do I go about fixing this? Is it worthwhile just replacing the hard drive? Is this something anyone can do? Or would it be better for me to just buy a brandnew laptop? :-/

Thanks

Reactions: MADE_ASH
Solution
When you boot up the laptop, are you able to get into the BIOS?? - If so you can go to something like 'Boot' and see if the hard drive is visible, if the hard drive isn't visible there then the hard drive has most likely died.

The clicking sound that you are experiencing is basically the 'click of death' - it is a telltale sign of a failed hard drive, about to fail drive.

My advice would be to replace the hard drive although there are many complications with that.... You will need to re-install windows - make sure you have the original license key and download all of the drivers again.

NerdyComputerGuy

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
When you boot up the laptop, are you able to get into the BIOS?? - If so you can go to something like 'Boot' and see if the hard drive is visible, if the hard drive isn't visible there then the hard drive has most likely died.

The clicking sound that you are experiencing is basically the 'click of death' - it is a telltale sign of a failed hard drive, about to fail drive.

My advice would be to replace the hard drive although there are many complications with that.... You will need to re-install windows - make sure you have the original license key and download all of the drivers again.

Solution