laptop not booting

shraddhey

Estimable
Nov 16, 2014
Laptop - dell xps 15 l502x
Problem- system not booting after showing the dell logo
Details- the next screen is black with a cursor at top left. a red box with random alphabets ( usually a,A,F,G,H) are shown at the central axis horizontally, placed randomly. No keys work. Using the power button instantly shuts the system off. Fans are working fine. Ran diagnostics but to no avail. Also tried fr removing any static charge, bt still no use
History- from some time, the blue screen has been usually seen with relation to faulty wifi card. The card seems fine physically with no damage or crack.
Please tell
1. What is happening?
2. What needs to be done?
3. Can i save my hard disk and my data? As its of utmost importance to me..
Please reply asap.

You've got two different tracks you could take
1) Try to get the machine to boot
2) Open the machine up, remove hard drive, and use another machine to copy the data off it.

If what's on the HDD is that important, I recommend that you ignore the PC for now, even abandon it forever, and concentrate on getting the drive out in one piece and copied off. If you've never opened a laptop before, this is not the time to start. Have an experienced friend or a pro do it.

Best of luck.

shraddhey

Estimable
Nov 16, 2014
I tried to install windows from a bootable pd.. On trying to repair, it shows corrupt bootmanager and the repair unsuccessful. Thn i tried to reinstall windows. On starting the setup, it shows that a basic driver for a cd-dvd drive is missing. As much as i get it, it means driver for removable drives. I cant go through this step to install windows. Is the fautly sandy bridge problem that rose in early 2011 intel chipsets.. The chipset in my lappy is hm67 express chipset. I dont know what is the problem.

shraddhey

Estimable
Nov 16, 2014
Moreover i also missed to tell that there might be a short circuit on board as i can charge my phone via usb cable connected to the error prone esata port even when the laptop is shut down

"3. Can i save my hard disk and my data? As its of utmost importance to me."

Umm, by installing to that hdd you have likely ruint the data beyond repair. The install process wrote to whatever locations on the disks it chose, and may have overwritten chunks of your data.

Camar0ss

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014
I'd suggest abandoning what you're attempting to do entirely, and thank the Lord above that Windows didn't permit you to install anything new to the drive. Power down the laptop, remove the battery immediately if you're able to charge anything in the ports with it powered completely off. Note that a lot of USB ports are "Sleep and Charge" ports, meaning you can still use them in SLEEP mode. This is not a "powered off" mode. The computer is simply in a very low power state. If your computer is powered completely off (No lights but the charging one) and still able to charge devices, then you should discontinue use of it immediately and seek professional help to repair it.

Do NOT attempt to repair or replace parts in a computer yourself, unless you're experienced and ALWAYS remove the battery and power supply from the port before attempting to open any hardware chassis. After unplugging and removing the batter, use another device to search YouTube on how to remove your machine's HDD. It's very easy to do, and normally is only a couple of small screws. Doing so will minimize the chances of losing any of the data you wish to retrieve at some other time.