Laptop not charging or receiving power

art_RLB

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
Apologies in advance, I am not good with tech... My laptop is a Dell Inspiron r15 5520. My niece used the wrong AC adaptor on the laptop. I have two of the exact same cords, the one I was currently using was a replacement for the one that stopped working. She plugged the one that had stopped working into the laptop and the laptop made a snapping sound and went completely dead instantly. I unplugged the cord from the laptop and while still plugged into the wall, in the "box" part it was making an audible, "tic... tic... tic... tic..." sound I believe to be arcing. The laptop wouldn't turn on. I held down the power button for 30 seconds with battery removed, then put the battery back in and it powered up.

Amazingly I hadn't even lost the tabs open, it appeared to be fine. After being on a few hours the "low battery" message came up and at that point I realized the battery was not charging and it was not getting power from the cord. When plugged in the laptop showed it was plugged in, but "plugged in, not charging". I quickly tried to do what I could to go through battery settings and make sure it wasn't just that but the battery ran out and it shut off. Reading through the forums it sounded like it could have been the battery that was an issue and a friend who works in IT confirmed so I bought a new battery. Put that battery in, it turned right back on, but had the same issue. I tried to do a data backup but it didn't finish in time and the laptop died once again.

Now it seems, according to threads on here, it might be a fuse on the motherboard? Calling around it looks like that will be $500+ to get fixed so if there is no other way I'll probably have to get another laptop even though this one is otherwise perfectly good. Are there any other components that could be the cause before I sink money into buying another laptop? Or maybe an off chance that it might be a setting? Probably wishful thinking but I've had issues with "plugged in, not charging" on other Dells and it was a BIOS issue. Could it be the "port" that the AC adapter plugs into?

Hi,

Here are some test that you can also do that may help.
- Start by testing the AC adapter if it's working properly.
- Remove the battery off the laptop then connect the AC adapter and see if it will boot up or not.
- If the laptop will not boot up with just the AC adapter connected, the problem may lie on either the motherboard or the AC adapter.
- If you have a spare AC adapter that works just fine with the same voltage do test it again with your laptop and see if it will boot up.
- But if the laptop will boot up just fine with just the AC adapter connected the problem may lie inside the motherboard where the battery meets the motherboard.
- Unfortunately repairing it would cost you a lot of money. :(

art_RLB

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
I am using the AC adapter that went to the 5520 on my very old laptop right now (checked compatibility first) and it's been powering that one perfectly since Saturday so this one should be fine. I tried using this cord with the other laptop, battery removed, and it is still completely dead. :/

art_RLB

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
Would it be possible instead of fixing the old motherboard or buying a whole new computer just to buy a new motherboard? It is possible to replace that without losing everything? Losing data, programs, and settings