Laptop not powering on

Jeff_ifan

Estimable
Sep 19, 2015
Hey all
I have a friends Toshiba L50-a to try and fix but it won't turn on. I have done the power reset a few times and at this stage the power button flashes every 6 seconds but does nothing. If I remove the RAM and the battery it tries to start but keeps restarting after around 5 seconds. I think the RAM is DDR3 and this model uses DDR3L. could this be the problem? He got it cheap because it wasn't working. The charger is a 3rd party adapter but the lights come on the front when it is plugged in.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Jeff

Aug 4, 2019
Hello Jeff,

Technology is always backwards compatible Jeff not the other way around. Hopefully, you getting me, what I mean. You can surely use DDR3L on DDR3 slots but using DDR3 on DDR3L is not supposed to work. As far as I know they both use different voltage. Try using a DDR3L ram, just buy one RAM and see if that helps, and Yes, also try a different charger.

And if you have fixed it, do let us know, how you fixed it.

Jeff_ifan

Estimable
Sep 19, 2015
Ok so I pulled the DDR3L RAM out of my laptop and installed it, and it worked. Looks like it may be water damaged as most of the keyboard doesn't work. but good to know

Reactions: Jack-TheTechnician
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
derribino Laptop General Discussion 1
T Laptop General Discussion 1
P Laptop General Discussion 1
H Laptop General Discussion 0
HighLeaderTaurus Laptop General Discussion 1
mijo__ Laptop General Discussion 1
L Laptop General Discussion 2
A Laptop General Discussion 1
A Laptop General Discussion 2
D Laptop General Discussion 5