Laptop not shutting completely (Power light and fan stays on after shutdown)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonMercenary

Estimable
Jun 11, 2014
Hi,

I have an Acer Asipre 4755G laptop (2nd Gen i5, 1GB Nvidia GT 540M, 3 GB RAM, 500 GB HD). And I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 in my laptop yesterday. I have had the laptop for over two years running the same windows but it had slowed down so I wanted a fresh install. Anyway, everything went smooth and I installed the windows and all the drivers. But today I noticed a new problem. When I shut down my laptop, everything shuts down including the screen, hard disk and stuff but the power light/indicator and the fan doesnt turn off. I have to hold the power button for 5 seconds for my laptop to turn off completely.

Also, I used to put my laptop to sleep by closing the lid and then only the battery light would blink every 3 seconds. I would then hit any button to wake it. But now when I close my lid to put it to sleep, the laptop sleeps but the power light stays on and the battery light doesnt blink anymore. And pressing any key doesn't wake it. I have to shut it down by holding the power button down and then start it all over again.

So far I have....

- Updated my Intel HD 3000 and my Nvidia GT 540M drivers but it still woudnt shut down fully.

- Shut it down manually using the power button, removed the battery and then pressed the power button for 30 seconds to drain any power in it. It didnt work.

- I tried removing my battery completely, and started the windows with my A/C adapter and then shut it down and it didnt work either. The screen and HD shuts down but the power light and the fans are still on. Had to turn it off manually again with the power button.

- Opened the event viewer but not sure where to look in it. Maybe someone can guide me here.

- Scheduled a chkdsk which will happen when I restart in a bit. Will post if it shows any errors.

tornado0

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015

This works
Thank you so much

chickenfeahter

Estimable
Jan 24, 2016
I had the same issue where the screen would turn off, but the fans and LEDs would stay on for a long time before finally turning off. My fix was to uninstall my antivirus program (AVG).

Rameez_2

Estimable
Feb 3, 2016
I sued to have this same problem on my dell laptop after I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8.1. This is a registry error and is easily fixable. You just have to reinstall the os by formatting all the partitions and starting afresh. Worked for me.

Josh_66

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
I dont have that exact PC but i did have the same shutdown / sleep problem. For me it ended up being an issue with the Intel power management interface. Try This, got to:

Control Panel > Device Manager > scroll down to System Devices > scroll down to and right click Intel(R) Management Engine Interface > Properties > click tab Power Management > you should see an option that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Make sure this option is NOT checked and if it is, un-check it and click OK.

And while your at it try and update the drivers for Intel(R) Management Engine Interface, Go to:
Control Panel > Device Manager > scroll down to System Devices > scroll down to and right
click Intel(R) Management Engine Interface > Update driver software > Search Automatically for updated driver software.

This worked for me, i hope it works for you. good luck

KymAH

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016

OMG - thanks so much for this post Josh_66.
While there was no Power Management option available on my notebook, while looking at "Intel(R) Management Engine Interface" in device manager, I did update the driver which solved this porblem for me that has been driving me nuts for months.

Thanks for posting your solution, it at least told me where to look.

NigelMox

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016
I have a Lenovo laptop that had the same problem of restart/shutdown. I cured it by removing all the bloatware installed by the manufacturer such as Energy Manager, Lenovo Settings etc. My tip is: remove all manufacturers bloatware as a matter of course, Windows does things much better on its own.

Paksi

Commendable
Apr 10, 2016
I have the same problem since I changed win 10 and used SSD... and I updated my bios by download new bios from acer's website... when u install new bios ensure that your power is pluged in...
restart...and the problem's solved

Status
Not open for further replies.