Solved! Laptop not turning on or charging

Apr 6, 2022
Hi. A few weeks ago my laptop fell on the floor (I have night terrors.) Anyway, it started up and everything was fine for a few weeks. Then, about 2 weeks ago, I gently sat it down on my lap and it turned off and since then refuses to charge as well (no lights at all on the battery light indicator.) I thought it was the charger at first (it makes a weird sound when you plug in the cord to the brick) but a new charger failed to make it work, as well as a new battery. I've checked the ram, the HDD, the CMOS (though haven't bought a new one,) and held the power button for a minute. Opening it up, I don't see anything wrong with the board. Today (when the new charger came in) I left it plugged in for an hour, and the bottom was warm for some reason, if that helps. Thank you for any assistance and I apologize for the wall of text.

Solution
If the reset doesn't work, I would try gently pushing the plug in different directions to see if the charging LED gives any reaction. That is, if it has a charging LED. Otherwise I do not know how to check the port.

mrmike16

Honorable
What laptop model is this?

What happens when you try to turn it on? The keyboard LEDs work? The charging LED works?

Sounds like you did all of the diagnostics I would have done. Maybe reset the CMOS again, since the charger you have now is new?

Also check the fans. You said that you sat it down on your lap before it turned off, and it has gotten warm with the new charger (Which you should check if it is compatible), and it is unclear by the post how far it gets when you turn it on - so this could be an issue where the fans were knocked out from the fall and it overheated.
What happens when you try to turn it on with only the charger and not the battery?

Apr 6, 2022
Thanks for replying. The laptop model is an HP Pro Book 640 G1. No lights appear when the charger is plugged in. I've since reseated the fan, thinking that might be it, but still, no lights. I'll try to reset the CMOS, to see if that helps. The part of the laptop that bumped my lap is where the charging port is at, so I'm wondering if the port might be shot. I have no way of testing it at the moment, though.

mrmike16

Honorable
If the reset doesn't work, I would try gently pushing the plug in different directions to see if the charging LED gives any reaction. That is, if it has a charging LED. Otherwise I do not know how to check the port.

Solution