Laptop only boots to BIOS menu not SSD

Feb 16, 2018
My MSI gaming laptop (GT60 2PC - Windows 10) only boots to the BIOS menu instead of the SSD which the OS is installed on. This started probably about a week ago, I attempted to update the BIOS version which I thought was successful because this issue didn't occur until recently, so I don't know if these two are related. It is displayed in the BIOS boot menu as Windows boot manager Samsung SSD evo etc in the #1 slot.

I have plugged the SSD into a spare sata port on my desktop pc and I was still able to access files on it.

I am trying to figure out if its my mobo or the drive or something in BIOS.
Not sure what my next step should be, any advice or assistance is appreciated. I can provide any additional info as needed. Thank you

Feb 16, 2018

I have the ssd set as boot option 1 and in the uefi bbs priorities menu i have the windows boot manager ssd option selected. Still sends me to the bios upon restart. I tried F11 which is my pc's boot device selection page, only choice is my ssd. Choosing that sends me back to the bios again

May 16, 2018
Hi. I’m having the same problem with an MSi laptop. How did you manage to fix it?
BIOS knows there’s an SSD Drive but it won’t boot from it. I installed windows on the HDD and all works fine, but not from the ssd.
On UEFI mode, boot options only let me choose hard drive or USB hard drive. Legacy tells me the actual name of my drives (Samsung EVO is one of them) but it doesn’t boot this way either.
:-(

zoltan.boese

Notable
Jan 30, 2018

It is possible that the laptop´s BIOS or some windows updates are messing with your settings. The new NVME type SSDs are sometimes hard to configure.