Laptop operating system.

hargos

Commendable
May 18, 2016
Hi, i have a laptop that suddenly would no longer boot up. Its windows vista. It starts and gets to the loading screen with the green progress bar then it just hangs. I have tried over and over to restart it but to no avail. The hard drive is partitioned with a recovery partition so i decided to format the main partition as I suspected the OS was corrupt. Now when i start up i get the immediate message saying 'operating system not found'. Where do i go from there, i bought this brand new from currys a couple of years back. Its a toshiba and has the windows key on the bottom. How do i get the OS back on it? Can i download it and use me key?

Best regards

Solution

Well of-course you will get a message about operating system not found, you deleted it when you formatted the boot drive. That's normal for what you did.

You need to do a factory restore now, if that even works. Most I have...

hargos

Commendable
May 18, 2016
Thanks Laptop Nerd, a fast and precise answer....cheers

hargos

Commendable
May 18, 2016
I removed the hard drive from the laptop, used a sata to usb cable and plugged it into another computer to see what was up with it. There were 2 partitions, one labelled Vista and one labelled Restore. From the host computer I just performed a full format of the Vista partition. I made no changes to the Restore partition. I browsed it and found a readme file and all it said was do not make any changes or delete any files on this partition as it is used to restore your computer. (or words to that effect).

Well of-course you will get a message about operating system not found, you deleted it when you formatted the boot drive. That's normal for what you did.

You need to do a factory restore now, if that even works. Most I have seen need the main partition intact also since there are files there the restore needs. When the laptop boots you should see a message about hitting a key for a system restore or something similar, do that. If that does not work, you need to get a Windows disk of the same version that was installed on the laptop and do a clean setup with it, or contact the laptop vendor for a set of restore disks.

Solution

hargos

Commendable
May 18, 2016

yep, I was just giving you a SitRep about where I currently am. When I formatted it I was aware I was getting rid of all data on the partition.

There is no message at all when I reboot the computer not even the usual prompts about hitting F8 (or whatever key it was) to enter the setup menu. I think holding down the A key may be the solution. I will try that the moment I have the computer inform of me. cheers anyway