Laptop overheating please help

Fireflash135

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
ok i have the hp pavilion dv6 1211ax entertainment notebook, its about 2 years old n till now i did not have any problems but now it started to overheat alot, idle temps ranging from 65 to 70 and load 80 to 100... i used the bios hardware monitor and speedfan as well as cpuid's temp monitor and the readings are similar... ive opened up the laptop n cleaned out the entire thing and re applied thermal paste and all.... as well as decrease cpu performance to 90% in power saver mode.... ive cleaned the fan as well...no dust collecction at all and yet it remains at 65s.... do i have to send it in for repairs?
im quite familiar with hardware and software but this for me is a dead end.... ive propped it on 2 hardbound books on the desktop and allowed the air vents free and my ambient temps are not that high.. i dont have a/c but my room does not resemble the sahara desert.... average room temp is about 28 degrees.... is there something ive not tried or skipped... and no warranty... please help

The cheapest solution at this point would be to buy a USB powered notebook cooler. Depending on the model and what kind of fans it packs, you may be able to bring the temps down 5-10 degrees, which should give you some headroom when running CPU/GPU intensive programs.

Fireflash135

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010

any suggestions? i dont know which is right for the notebook...my budget right now is 25$... any good one with dual fans correctly placed for the dv6? thanks for the reply