Laptop Overheating Very Easily

poey27529

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
About a couple months ago i use to be able to play high demanding games such as far cry 3 , battlefield 4 , and other games on steam with no problem with the temperature.

Right now with my laptop idle it runs at 68-70 degrees Celsius = 154-158 degrees Fahrenheit. But when i play any games it jumps to 85+ degrees Celsius = 185 Fahrenheit. And then the laptop just shuts down and i have to let it cool down before i can use it again. Last time i cleaned my fan was about a 2 weeks ago though so i don't see the problem.

I currently have an Alienware 14 gaming laptop for about 1 year now and this problem has just started to occur not to long ago.

I have a Cooler Master X-Slim notepal cooling fan/pad under my laptop when i play as well.

Is there anything that could be causing my hardware to overheat or something? It never use to overheat before until randomly now.

Hi,

I would suggest cleaning the inside of your laptop and apply new thermal compound of the GPU and CPU help in cooling it down.

Here's a video guide on how to clean and apply new thermal paste.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d73HrEBfKFA

After doing all these, do also a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Open Programs and Features as well and uninstall anything related to NVIDIA.
- Next is to download and install the latest graphics driver form the manufacturers site.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Once installed reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.
- After the reboot make sure to set Nvidia as the default graphics card.

Blackink

Estimable
Apr 27, 2014
I'd agree with Laptop_Nerd. I didn't view the youtube video that was posted, but in the link I post below, look at the 14 minute time frame and see the "radiator" looking thing he takes off that is connected to the copper pipes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EldGZ0cvBHI

I tore apart my sons dell XPS laptop and that "radiator" looking thing, with all the tiny fins, was completely plugged with dust. I mean completely plugged. The fan had quite a bit of dust in it also along with the area that had an air intake grill.

I also applied new thermal paste to the CPU and the GPU chip, after cleaning off the over applied paste from the factory that was all over the place!!!!!

He was having the same problem as you were when he played his games on it AND he used a laptop cooler also to help cool it, that was before I cleaned it out.