Laptop Overheating When on Charge and Playing Games Causes Odd Lag Spikes

DanielWilson1997

Estimable
Jun 12, 2015
Okay, so I am ready to throw my laptop at the wall.

I have tried every way I could find on the internet to fix this issue. I got my laptop a MSI GL62 at christmas and initially it would run games such as Payday 2 and CSGO on max settings with an easy 60fps. I found that eventually the games would start to slow down and not be able to be ran on these settings and I had to change them to low for them to play with a steady framerate. A couple weeks back I factory reset my laptop as a way to see if that would fix the issue. it did not as the problem still persists. Recently, in the steam summer sale, I purchased Arma 3, a game that I should be able to run on medium comfortably. I am currently playing with everything on the lowest settings possible and still only scraping 30 fps when on battery. When playing games whilst the laptop is on charge, I have found that the game runs at the same sort of level but when I feel near where the battery is, it gets very hot very quickly. This is what I believe to be the start of the lag spikes as up until the laptop gets hot, the game runs as if on battery.

So far I have tried a couple of solutions and (not in order) these are :

• Updating drivers for graphics and CPU
    Doing a battery calibration
    Messing with maximum processor state
    Going into the Nvidia control panel and changing different settings in there
    Using the Windows 10 battery settings to prioritise videos over battery
    Factory resetting laptop
I find it thoroughly rage inducing that I can only play matches of battle royale on Arma for around 30 mins until the battery starts to need charging and then I might as well quit seeing as how the game drops down to around 3fps constantly.

Any help would be very greatful as this problem is just stressing me out when I want to use games as the opposite of that.

Solution
I wonder if you have some other software installed in the background which is slowing it down ,,, or a virus or malware.

Use process explorer to identify what processes are running in the background and uninstall any rubbish software.

I wonder if you have some other software installed in the background which is slowing it down ,,, or a virus or malware.

Use process explorer to identify what processes are running in the background and uninstall any rubbish software.

Solution