Solved! Laptop overheating?

llama052

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Well basicly , I'm on vacation in florida... turns out my fishing buddy is sick.... and well I've ran my Toshiba Satillate laptop for a couple of hours last night and Accidently left it on (all night fishing) I came back home and turned it on and I get a "Windows Boot manager window" that says it has encountered a I/O error... other times it says missing files like acpi.sys or something of the like.... Of course I forgot to bring my restore CDs.... So im left in Florida with nothing to do but stare at the ceiling.

Questions.

A. Can a laptop overheat and cause the HD to go currupt?

B. What options do I have as for fixing this problem as cheap as possible. (Left all my OEM disks at home)

ANY sort of fix so I have something to do!... Im gunna die! lol

Also the Series laptop I have is the only one that doesnt have the second "restore" partition.... YAY! my luck.

Any comments or anything is welcome... my laptop is around 5-6 months old and kind of odd to mess up already :fou:

<3 Thanks

Solution
I have lost many a hard drive due to over heating. I wound up purchasine a fan plate to set the laptop in while in use.

If you have another computer and an adapter to make the laptop drive an external unit, you can always try putting the drive in a zip-top bag and put it in the freezer for a few minutes. Then hook it to the adapter to try and recover the data. If you have a boot disk that will allow you to CHKDSK the hard drive, that may correct some errors to get it to boot. I have had that work a few times.

** Sticking the drive in the freezer could possibly make the drive totally unrecoverable. Do this at your own risk.

bigfysh3

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I have lost many a hard drive due to over heating. I wound up purchasine a fan plate to set the laptop in while in use.

If you have another computer and an adapter to make the laptop drive an external unit, you can always try putting the drive in a zip-top bag and put it in the freezer for a few minutes. Then hook it to the adapter to try and recover the data. If you have a boot disk that will allow you to CHKDSK the hard drive, that may correct some errors to get it to boot. I have had that work a few times.

** Sticking the drive in the freezer could possibly make the drive totally unrecoverable. Do this at your own risk.

Solution