Laptop power issue

toshibitsu

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
I was given an Asus laptop that supposedly was working beforehand. I received it without a hard drive & without the charger. It's one of those that you have to disassemble to install the HD. I decided to cleaned it out(compressed air) & replaced paste on CPU with arctic silver. I put everything back together & ordered a power supply online(Ebay). I got it the other day & went to plug it in. The 'red' charging light comes on but when I try to power on the laptop, it comes on for about 1 - 2 seconds, then shuts off again.
I opened it up again & re-checked all the hookups, etc. I even tried with and without the battery installed. I decided to put the battery back in and leave it plugged in to the wall. It's been sitting there for a few hours now and the charging light is still red. I know that if the battery is bad, the laptop should still turn on without it(so long as it's plugged in). Do you guys think that this is more likely a problem with the power supply or something else? Oh and I did try troubleshooting by disconnecting componens(keyboard, trackpad, optical)