Laptop power issues

Oct 9, 2018
Hi I have a hp i7 laptop just out of warranty. It will only charge when off. When on it works but I can only use it until the battery runs out and then I have to let it charge again before use.

When on and plugged in the light to indicate ac power is active lights up. This light changes to the charging colour when off.

It also won't work without the battery in the light for ac power is on but it won't boot.

I have replaced the charger with no effect and am awaiting a replacement battery to arrive.

So far I have:
-updated bios
-updated all power management drivers
- run in a low power mode

The hp diagnosis boot tool tells me the ac power supply has a fault with both the old and new charger.

I've run out of ideas anyone else?

Oct 9, 2018
Does your battery run out faster than it did or you are hearing some weird sounds from it?If yes then get a new battery.
If no you can go
Device Manager --> Power --> Battery ( or Ac compatible battery) --> right click --> uninstall this device --> reboot
And let us know if it worked!

Oct 9, 2018

Hi thanks for the response. Battery life seems as good as ever. Have already tried uninstalling and checking for up dates on both the battery and ac power with no luck.