Laptop power options playing up

zamandguth

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Hey guys,
I bought the HP Pavilion 14-n292tx laptop about 10 months ago with a 750gb hdd in it.
About a month ago I bought a 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD and since installing the SSD, heres what happens:
When I close the lid, the laptop does not properly sleep, also does not wake from the sleep, forcing me to hold the power button to turn it off
When i shutdown through windows, it does not properly shutdown, forcing me to hold the power button again
When i restart, it turns off fine but upon booting I get SMART disc errors then boot errors. If i turn it off from here and turn it on, its fine.

What I've done:
Clean and legitimate install of windows 10 (several times)
Installed all drivers from HP website and amd gpu drivers
Run Samsung's Magician program (fixed the problem for one boot, said pc was configured for a hdd, changed it to ssd with maximise reliability selected)
sfc /scannow brings no errors
Updated the BIOS to latest version
Changing the power options seems to have no effect
Disabling hibernation mode through cmd seems to have no effect
Some other things i cant remember

Any ideas for what else i can do?
Was this laptop never designed for an SSD and therefore unfixable?
Take the SSD back to retailer explaining the SMART disc errors and get a replacement?

Thank in advance :)

Solution
Have you tried changing your BIOS options, I have no idea what options you have there but you should have some hibernating options. If even after tweeking around BIOS nothing happens I would suggest going for repartitioning using MBR partitions instead of GPT which also means to use legacy bios instead of UEFI bios (reinstall windows this way)

Gingerbread

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Have you tried changing your BIOS options, I have no idea what options you have there but you should have some hibernating options. If even after tweeking around BIOS nothing happens I would suggest going for repartitioning using MBR partitions instead of GPT which also means to use legacy bios instead of UEFI bios (reinstall windows this way)

Solution

zamandguth

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013

Thanks for the idea about the MBR, after doing bootrec /RebuildBcd, /fixMbr and /fixboot it seems to be working properly.
Thanks again!