Laptop random shutoff problem

sk8erboob

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
I'm trying to fix a Compaq V6000 laptop that turns off randomly. After it turns off, its hard to get it to boot again. I am able to get it to power up without a battery and just direct AC power, however it does not fix the random shut downs.

I was able to get it to boot it long enough to re-install the Vista x64, flash the bios, and update the hardware drivers. However, it did not fix the problem. The system still will randomly turn off without warning. Before doing the reformat, I did receive a CMOS check_sum error post message. I'm not sure if this is a clue to the source of the problem.

The fan does come on when the system actually boots, so I'm not sure its an overheating problem. But, I don't know for sure. Something deep down makes me think its a BIOS/CMOS problem. The BIOS doesn't seem to keep accurate time and Windows has recognized this and started throwing security messages.

Note: This system did have a gnarly virus a few years back.

Solution
You can check with HP support, or a PC shop can look it over, sounds just like the same issue that hits many of these models to me though. To swap out what's wrong though would cost very close to the price or a new laptop, or at least a used newer one.

sk8erboob

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

I am able to get it to boot to Windows if I run directly off of AC power. However, once it is on, it will eventually turn off without warning.

If I have a battery pack in, it will flash the three front lights blue but the system will not start.

You can check with HP support, or a PC shop can look it over, sounds just like the same issue that hits many of these models to me though. To swap out what's wrong though would cost very close to the price or a new laptop, or at least a used newer one.

Solution

sk8erboob

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

Yeah, I figured as much. Maybe I will just take the whole laptop apart and use it as a science project. I'll probably get more value learning the hardware than paying a tech the cost of a new laptop to fix it. Thanks for your help.