Laptop randomly shuts off.

Loressa

Estimable
Jun 22, 2014
A few weeks ago, I vacuumed my laptop as I've been doing for three years. Turns out a vacuum doesn't really clean laptops, so some dust got sucked in and fried the graphics card. I got it replaced and since then it has shut off a few times.

Today was the first time it happened while I was actually using it. I removed the battery and the power adapter and held the power button for a while and it turned on again.

It only goes up to 63 degrees (and that's when I use Microsoft Office, Mozilla and the Sims 2 at the same time), so temperature shouldn't be the issue, although I do hear the fan a lot since I got it back. Any idea as to what it might be?

Brunostako

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
It could be that your CPU and/or GPU have a bad quality thermal compound and it's causing you're laptop to shut down for protection from overheating. That happened to me once, also when i got my old laptop repaired from GPU problem.

Loressa

Estimable
Jun 22, 2014
Actually, I've been thinking about that, too. I've just started monitoring the gpu temp; It's at 67-70 degrees while the cpu is at 45. I'm only using firefox right now. My graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470. It's 27 degrees in my room and the laptop is on a cooling pad, if that helps. Isn't the gpu temp a bit high?

My dad took the laptop to a friend of his who repairs tv sets, radios, etc but not laptops. He was supposed to help him remove the screws but instead he cleaned it and changed the graphics card. He only charged us 50 euros and I had it back 12 hours later. I guess he had to eff up somewhere. Do I simply have to take it somewhere where they'll charge me 40 euros just to change the thermal paste or could it be something else?

Thanks for answering, by the way.

Brunostako

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
Changing the thermal compound is not a hard job, it actually depends on how easy the laptop can be opened. 40 euros sounds too much for a job like this. You could do it if you want.

And yes, 70° C is a lot for just firefox in 27° ambient.