Laptop reboots indefinitely

Chapt

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
I've had this gateway laptop for about 3 years now and a little while ago I left it alone for about an hour and when I came back the screen was entirely black. It wouldn't respond to anything so I did a hard reboot.

Ever since whenever I would try to turn it on it would just reboot constantly. The HDD would power up and the LEDs would flash as usual but it would reboot seconds later with nothing on screen, no backlight even. This would repeat indefinitely until I cut the power.

No hardware changes have been made prior to this, so I have no clue what could be the cause.

the hard drive could have issue and is pulling more power then them laptop mb can give it causing it to reboot. if your good with tools try removing the hard drive and see if the laptop stays on. if it still reboots with just the ram...could be a weak or failing ac adaptor or the fan on the cpu has failed and the cpu is overheating. the last could be a failing cpu or motherboard.

Chapt

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

I've already tried removing the HDD and it made no apparent difference.

The CPU fan still spins whenever the laptop powers up.

Chapt

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Well I had it working, for a while at least.

I took the ram out of my sister's dead laptop and put it in mine and tried it out.

I just left it there rebooting itself for about an hour and when I came back it was working just fine.

Just a few hours ago it did the same exact thing I first mentioned and now it wont start again.

I'm starting to think this is more work than what its worth.