Question Laptop recommendation Digital Nomad, occasional gamer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2023
Hi I hope here are some people who have fun recommending Laptops :)

So my requirements are somewhat specific:
- Digital Nomad, so portability is king.
- I want good build quality.
- Working in the Video Games industry, so need a machine that I can game on. I don't need a bazillion FPS in the newest game though. As long as it runs new games fluently without putting all settings to min, I am good.

I was considering G14 or Blade 14. They are not cheap, which would be fine if they check all boxes, but both have massive, heavy charging bricks.
Thought I might be able to buy a USB GAN charger and be good with a G14 / blade 14, but even though USB 4 supposedly has 240W and GAN chargers are small, I can't seem to find 240W GAN chargers nor cables. Using only a 120W charger in these laptops seems stupid as they will be permanently throttled?
Also in G14 Forums, they say using it like this will deplete the battery as then all power goes through the battery?
So I am a bit stuck here. It seems that I need to go with a cheaper, bad build quality Laptop, or need to carry around a gigantic, heavy charging brick. Does anyone here have a good solution to this?

If you'd ask me for my perfect laptop, it's a 14' Macbook Pro / Air build quality, with USB charging, and dedicated graphics.

So here my priorities, in order:
- 14" (15 max if light & slim), great build quality
- Portable (no huge power brick, the slimmer & lighter the laptop better)
- Gaming
- Price

Here the copy paste list from the sticky:

1. What is your budget?
Ideally around 1500eur, max 2200eur (2500$)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14'.
If slim and light will consider a 15'.
13' seems too small to work on it full-time.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
No specific requirements

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Must be good for Zoom, Slack, and gaming

5. How much battery life do you need?
min 4-5 hours of Zoom/office work. Will only game plugged in.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Playing recent games at mid-settings is enough

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Zoom, office work, gaming

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
1TB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
No

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
5 Years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
nothing

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I consider Asus and Razer as they reportedly have good build quality
I don't want a MSI as I had a very bad experience with my last gaming (msi stealth) laptop with them.

13. What country do you live in?
Spain

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Jul 29, 2023
Nothing I would recommend fits your specifications, but I'd like to note - power bricks are practically a necessity for a gaming laptop. Power supplies generate a lot of heat, and without a brick your laptop will have to dissipate a lot more. Laptops are not known for their powerful fans, so the end result will be overheating and almost constant CPU/GPU throttling to make up for it. Lenovo's ideapad gaming line has relatively small bricks and they're reliable, so you might look into those.

Status
Not open for further replies.