Laptop recommendation

kilbypirate

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Looking to replace my wife's 5-year old Dell notebook. Below are the FAQ with my responses. Thanks for any recommendations:

1. What is your budget? Around 500 give or take, less is always better :)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 14-15

3. What screen resolution do you want? Not all that important

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? More of a desktop replacement (will be her only computer), but she wants something lighter than her current one (6.38 lbs per Dell specs).

5. How much battery life do you need? +/- 4 hrs I suppose... not all that important

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? Internet, e-mail, Office apps, light photo work (basically just downloading pics from camera)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Well, she currently has over half a 60-gig drive free, so not much apparently!

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? About 5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Not important

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I prefer stuff from Dell/HP/Lenovo business lines, but certainly open to considering others.

13. What country do you live in? US

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
I like the Dell Inspiron line. Good quality, customer service w/ good extended warranty options. You can get these on sale regularly with good discounts or with "free upgrades" as part of the originl purchase price.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/laptops.aspx?ref=usen-lt-tile#!facets=52176~0~817059&p=1

I stay away from HP after two bad purchases. But that is personal preference. I have heard good things from some folks. Just that whole bad taste in your mouth thing.

kilbypirate

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Thanks for the feedback. She's currently on a 5-year old Inspiron that has done well. I also run Dell Latitude/OptiPlex at work and have done well.

Have you seen any good deals lately on any Inspirons?