Laptop restarts with BSOD frequently and hangs sometimes

Menatchisundari

Estimable
Oct 24, 2015
My Laptop model is Toshiba L510 Satellite.
It restarts everytime before completing a single boot process failing with BSOD((I mean booting
and loading of OS here which results in showing the desktop screen). I get different error messages everytime like REFERENCE_BY_POINTER,IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL,DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL,SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION,MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION,
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED AREA,etc.Sometimes , no specific error exceptions come but I get a general statement in the blue screen that something cannot be fixed. Either I get blue screen error or the system hangs which I restore by manually turning off the system using power button.

I tried to resolve the issue using techniques provided in different threads but couldn't fix it. Following are my attempts
to repair ..
1) Reinstalled the OS thrice - Issue remains
2) Ran Disk checking and Windows Start up repair several times - During the first time,the test detected some errors and
fixed them automatically.The issue still remained.In the next tests , no error was detected but issue is still there.
3) I put the Hard disk in another Laptop(a Lenovo piece).The system successfully booted and workedsmoothly.
So I assumed that there is no issue with HDD.

I doubt if there could be any issue either with the RAM or battery or the power supply or
something else ..But couldn't check them as I don't know any testing techniques and don't have spare parts.

Could forum please help me ..

WEll it doesn't like the graphics driver package in XP, and it looks like there is a RAM fault.

1. Install Windows 7 on it for a start. It makes better use of the memory system and is smoother to run ... plus the updates are still coming through.

2. Remove your ram and clean the edges (carefully) with an eraser ... just the gold contacts on the memory. Then put it back. Watch you don't damage any SMD's near the edge of the contacts.

ex_bubblehead

Distinguished
REFERENCE_BY_POINTER
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED AREA

All of these point to a hardware fault, either memory or motherboard. Memory being the least expensive of the two, replace the RAM. If that doesn't do it then you have to decide if the cost of a new motherboard for an old laptop is worth it.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

I agree. I have had that happen and when you get multiple random BSoD (i.e. not a consistent bucgcheck code/error) it normally means the RAM is faulty.

You can try replacing it or the other option is to download and run Memtest 86+ from a USB drive.

Menatchisundari

Estimable
Oct 24, 2015
Hi Jimmysmitty,

I have tried running memtest on my two RAMs(1 GB each). I inserted one RAM chip at a time and ran memtest for 3 passes. Did not get a single error on both. So , no issue with RAMs ?

And Is it enough to stop with three passes or do i need to run it for more number of times ?

Thanks Reynod,Jimmysmitty,ex_bubblehead for your suggestions :)