Laptop Saves video files as HUGE sizes!?!?

JazmineFr

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Hello,I recently bought a new laptop and I found that videos are huge sizes on it. A 5 second video clip will be 277MB and a 3 minute one will be 24.6GB!

It doesnt happen unless I record from my computer or if I render videos on my computer using sony vegas.

For example I could convert a video I got from youtube and it would be 30mb but as soon as I render it it goes up to 64GB (That did happen!) Im no good with all this techy stufff and I dont have a clue how to change it.
But this means I cant upload videos to youtube or anything. I know its something to do with my laptop because my old laptop didnt do that!

Computer info:
My laptop is a HP Pavilion DV6 Notebook PC
Pro cessor: AMD phenom(tm) II P960 Quad-Core
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6470M

Pyree

Distinguished
I am not familiar wit sony vegas but after you edit a video and render it for completion, you will be given options to save the output video as a format of your choice let say video: 1.5mbps cbr, audio: 2 channel 192kbps cbr, 720p PAL, H.264 mp4.

JazmineFr

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

Oh yeah, I already tried that and it didnt work. Its definatly something to do with my computer, I just dont know what.

Do you know who setup Sony Vegas on your previous laptop?

It appears your video is being saved to the hard drive in an uncompressed format which is why the file size is so large. I am not familiar with the Sony Vegas, but you need to read your manual to learn how to select a codec and play around with the settings that will give you a small file size with good video and audio quality.

A "codec" is short for "Coder/Decoder" and is a generic term used for many different types of video and audio formats.