Laptop says intel4600 AND amd m230, Graphics card very confused lenovo g410)

quarrel

Estimable
May 14, 2014
We received free laptops at work this week, I didn't expect much at ALL.

After searching and updating the DXDIAG says I have an Intel HD graphics 4600. I was confused as there are AMD stickers on the case (figured it was gutted or rebuilt etc...)

After playing with "will it run" it said I have an AMD m230. So I ran msinfo32 and yes that said the same.

So what is going on? is it the wrong drivers are installed? are they same gpu under different names? Why would dxdiag and msinfo32 say different things?

I am downloaded the AMD drivers but extremely slow at work.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Solution
Al modern laptops basically have CPUs with an integrated graphics core (AMD calls 'em APUs). In your case you have a Haswell generation Core i3 or Core i5 which comes with the Intel HD 4600 graphics core. However, because integrated graphics (iGPU) is not very powerful compared to most dedicated graphics chip some models are installed with dedicated graphic chips. This naturally adds costs but also improves gaming performance.

The Radeon R5 M230 is actually a pretty weak dedicated graphics chip. Overall it is probably only provides about a 10% - 15% improvement in performance. But that depends on the game itself. In some games it provides less performance than the Intel HD 4600. You can click the link below for game...
Al modern laptops basically have CPUs with an integrated graphics core (AMD calls 'em APUs). In your case you have a Haswell generation Core i3 or Core i5 which comes with the Intel HD 4600 graphics core. However, because integrated graphics (iGPU) is not very powerful compared to most dedicated graphics chip some models are installed with dedicated graphic chips. This naturally adds costs but also improves gaming performance.

The Radeon R5 M230 is actually a pretty weak dedicated graphics chip. Overall it is probably only provides about a 10% - 15% improvement in performance. But that depends on the game itself. In some games it provides less performance than the Intel HD 4600. You can click the link below for game benchmarks:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R5-M230.108655.0.html

*** EDITED ***
Missing word

Solution

quarrel

Estimable
May 14, 2014

Ok, thanks for the info, Guess I have both. Have to play with it and see how it goes. I have a dedicated PC at home for games anyways, don't use laptops much.