Laptop Screen "dims" on Right Side (Urgent, please help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

niramal

Estimable
Aug 20, 2014
Okay, So...

I own a gateway nv52l23u laptop and I've noticed over the last week or so that the screen "dims" in one spot on the right side. Its in neither corner, rather, more toward the middle of the right side. It's not completely black either. I noticed no excessive warmth on the screen, nor have I noticed any burnt plastic/metal smell.

Also, It only does this when its NOT plugged into the charge adapter. I have also plugged it into a tv via hdmi cable and the "dim" does not show on there.

Example: I turn on the laptop and go to the bathroom, I come back, log in, get a refill of water... I come back again.. the right side is "dimmed" so I plug the laptop into the adapter and close the lid and reopen it, the spot is gone.

It's not completely black either. I can see my mouse icon perfectly fine in the spot.

I'm at a loss.. so.. suggestions on what it could be, and perhaps a possible solution??

update: I have had the laptop on for about 15 minutes now and it "dimmed" in that spot again. Not plugged into adapter. I'm not sure if "dim" is the right word.. but I cant think of another word to describe it

Abmario

Estimable
Oct 1, 2014
Most probably your display inverter is failing... You may check it (refer to link) or can send it for repair.

http://henrypoon.wordpress.com/2011/12/27/repairing-a-laptop-display-that-is-dim-or-has-a-black-corner/

niramal

Estimable
Aug 20, 2014

how much would something like this cost if i were to send it in for repair to a pc repair store?

niramal

Estimable
Aug 20, 2014
So, as an update,

I pried apart the panels (carefully of course) and unscrewed the screws holding the screen in place and saw what I'm assuming is the wire for the lcd pannel, it looked fine, saw that it was held in place by 2 pieces of silver tape... 1 of the pieces had rolled back toward the screen, so I used a credit card to unroll it back so it was covering the wire as it was supposed to. then i patted it down a bit.

seeing if that does anything. Will update if problem persists and will probably replace the screen alltogether since it seems to be about a $50 fix if the issue persists

niramal

Estimable
Aug 20, 2014
its worth a try. maybe the cable got loose from the fans or jiggling from my typing.

the laptops off warranty anyway ( i just looked. expired a month ago) so i doubt gateway would service it.

Status
Not open for further replies.