Question Laptop screen doesn't turn on on windows and at boot but work on linux

Aug 22, 2022
Hi !
I'm using an Acer Nitro 5 an515-51 for almost 5 years now and everything was working fine. It's a dual boot setup with windows and Linux Mint.

One completely random day, my laptop display decided to just not work everywhere BUT linux. I can't access boot, i can"t see the grub at start, there's no boot logo. The LCD screen is turned off. no image, not a backlight issue.
When i (blindly) choose Linux Mint, i can see everything and use it normally. I think that Linux is using the Nvidia GPU and not the Inter Integrated GPU.

There is some case when the lcd starts again but it's very random. i have no idea when it will work or not (very rare cases).
Another case is that i can see the boot logo "when it's on windows", like, when it's too late to press the Key to access the bios. it turn my lcd on BUT the screen is still not detected in the device manager

I can still access my computer by connecting it to an external display. I did that and found out that my intel GPU can't find the integrated screen. The problem is there i think
I think i've messed up because i've disabled the grub in order to only have windows because i don't use linux during summer at all. I can't access bios anymore (or at least blindly).

If i have to resume the problem in one sentence : My laptop have difficulties to detect and turn on the integrated display at boot.

I dont think the problem come from drivers, all drivers are up to date.

Any idea to fix that problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Laptop Tech Support 0
Chocket Laptop Tech Support 2
fughyumi Laptop Tech Support 2
Kuzatheprotogen Laptop Tech Support 1
junior31210 Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 1
SnackinMcCracken Laptop Tech Support 1
mfenton27 Laptop Tech Support 4
S Laptop Tech Support 4