Laptop screen freezing and discolouring

Status
Not open for further replies.

kammawestenholz

Estimable
May 23, 2018
My laptop screen has recently started to freeze and discolour (white and/or purple) notably, it's only the screen, the computer still works otherwise (I' am typing this mostly blind) and I can usually do a short term fix by moving the angle it's at a little. I have tried both tightening and loosening the screws around the screen, and when I took it to my local computer repair shop he cleaned it of dust and viruses. It's an Asus E502S running Windows 10, it's not quite 2 years old yet.

Solution
Well that is good news then. As the GPU isn't the problem.

Next would be the cable and the attached display. Now if it is under warranty, you will want to contact the manufacturer and have them do this work. If it isn't, then it is up to you if you feel comfortable pulling it apart and doing the work or prefer to try a local tech.

The first thing to check would be the cable that connects the display. Look at it for pinched parts, bends, cuts, tears, and other types of damage. If there is any, it should be replaced. If there is none, then I would try carefully disconnecting it from both ends (the display and the board) and then reconnecting them. A loose or misaligned connection could be the problem. If that doesn't work, then again, I...
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

kammawestenholz

Estimable
May 23, 2018
Thank you very much. The external monitor works fine while the built in is currently doing its frozen and discoloured thing. What's the next step?

Well that is good news then. As the GPU isn't the problem.

Next would be the cable and the attached display. Now if it is under warranty, you will want to contact the manufacturer and have them do this work. If it isn't, then it is up to you if you feel comfortable pulling it apart and doing the work or prefer to try a local tech.

The first thing to check would be the cable that connects the display. Look at it for pinched parts, bends, cuts, tears, and other types of damage. If there is any, it should be replaced. If there is none, then I would try carefully disconnecting it from both ends (the display and the board) and then reconnecting them. A loose or misaligned connection could be the problem. If that doesn't work, then again, I would go with replacing the cable, and if that doesn't resolve it, then it would mean you need to replace the display.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.