Laptop screen goes blank when using HDMI cord

Red2go

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
Using Windows 7, running on an Alienware18 with dual GTX 780m. After a recent update whenever I use my HDMI port to use my TV as a second monitor, my laptop screen goes black after a few seconds. I have made sure I was in "Extend" mode, and updated my drivers for my graphics cards. There is a new icon popping up saying "HDMI In (on)" that wasn't there before when I plug it in. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Found the solution, there is a setting on the laptop that changes the HDMI port to accepting incoming video to outputting video. An update defaulted this setting to accepting video. The hotkey to change this setting on an Alienware18 is FN + F9
Hi,

Please do a clean install of the graphics card driver that may help in solving the issue.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Next is to check Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver from Nvidia support site.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot your laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do test it again and see if the same problem will persist or not.

Red2go

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
Found the solution, there is a setting on the laptop that changes the HDMI port to accepting incoming video to outputting video. An update defaulted this setting to accepting video. The hotkey to change this setting on an Alienware18 is FN + F9

Solution

kitrik23

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016

kitrik23

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
I had the same problem .... and its an easy fix forget all the procedures all these people are telling everyone ... simply press the windows key with f9 ... problem solved