Laptop screen keeps dimming no matter what.

andropidus

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015
Hello, I have an ASUS laptop that the screen keeps dimming no matter what I try. My OS (Win8) is installed for 5 months now and the problem began the last two days. I have indeed checked the Windows Update and the last update was in 12/2/2016 but the issues appeared two days ago so I doubt it's that.

I've searched this issue a lot and I've tried:
1.Control panel ---> Power options ---> advanced --> Display. And I've disabled the auto-dim option as well as the other option that it has.
2. Going to Intel control panel ---> Power Options. And I've made sure that the gaming technology thing as well as the Display power saving option is turned off.

Even though for most people those options seem to have worked my screen keeps dimming and it's driving me crazy because I can't work that way. Anything I can try that i have not tried yet?

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue. Have you tried connecting an external monitor and see if the same problem will persist?
- Start by uninstalling/reinstalling the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the graphics card driver.
- Check Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to your graphics card.
- Next is to download and install the latest driver from the manufacturers site. (Nvidia or AMD).
- Reboot your laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do observe your laptop again if the same problem will persist or not.
- If all these will not work I would suggest reinstalling Windows itself that may help.