laptop screen sometimes turns off

dragoncdf

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
so back in november i got a new laptop hp17-g121wm and everything is fine till recently. sometimes when i'm on the screen will go black but still the back lite is on. i'll have to hit the power button to put it in sleep mode then poser button again to get the display back. sometimes it'll do it right after bring it out of sleep mode and i'll have to put it in sleep mode again.doesn't matter what i'm doing just surfing the internet does it. i checked all the power settings in windows 10 and everything is how it should. updated the video card drives couple days ago and for 2 days it didn't do it till just now. so far it's only after the laptop has been on serveral hours but it doesn't feel hot. any idea what might cause this? processor is amd a10-8700p and video card is r6.

combinebasic

Estimable
Dec 23, 2015
The cause of the problem of your laptop is the updates, to understand the trouble try to restart and safe mode your computer. If the display will not gone. Uninstall all the drivers specially the display driver and program you updated before, and restart your computer, then go back to desktop, now if your computer display will now ok, clearly the problem is the updates. But still the problem you experience, there are problem of the hardware inside and or the LCD, if you can't dismantle your laptop for clean and check,bring your laptop in the service center.

combinebasic

Estimable
Dec 23, 2015
Try to remove the display driver if not there are problem inside either the LCD panel and the connections from LCD to motherboard. Dismantle your laptop or bring it in service center if you can't perform.

dragoncdf

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
may have figured out the problem. after updating the bio that didn't help. so today it did it and decided to connect the laptop to my tv by hdmi. well when i did that the screen on the laptop flickered and got a green screen on the tv before the picture on the tv went black. so i hit f4 on the keyboard which i think is the change display icon and it flickered on the laptop screen and went green on the tv. after it did this i got the screen on my laptop to come back and it said video card driver quit responding. now i have tried updating the driver and uninstalling it but that never helped.

combinebasic

Estimable
Dec 23, 2015

I suspect, first is the LCD panel that have problem, secondly the screen settings, third windows problem.Here we need to do, you can't check the LCD panel by dismantling the LCD screen, so lets leave it. Lets check the windows settings under the properties of desktop. You can check it by right clicking the Desktop then properties. Find their the properties of the display then check their if there are settings that probably can be set to normal the video display. Now for the windows error do you have recovery disk?if not, can you download it in hp website?try to recover the windows using that recovery. But need to backup you files. If this solution will not resolve this surely sure the problem is the hardware either the LCD panel or the display chipset in the motherboard. Kindly proceed for this instruction so that will know what parts causes the problem.