Solved! Laptop screen stopped working. External screen works

Alaa_1

Honorable
Sep 3, 2015
My laptop's screen stopped working after sitting a few minutes under the sun. It just went black out of a sudden. I plugged another external screen and it worked. Does that guarantee replacing my laptop's screen with a new one will work?
Thanks!

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

So replacing the display may/may not resolve it. Especially if the problem is the cable rather than the display. If it got a bit overheated, it may work after being cooled off for a few hours. If not, then I would look into replacing it.

Alaa_1

Honorable
Sep 3, 2015

Thanks for the reply.
I can see totally fine on the external display.
It's been 2 days now and still not working.
What kind of cable should I be looking for? Can you please attach a link on Amazon? I have a Dell Inspiron 3521.
Thanks!

Alaa_1

Honorable
Sep 3, 2015

Hi,
I found out something interesting.
The screen is actually working. But it's extremely dim. I project a high flash light on it and I can see things. I see Windows. So I've been told this means the LCD inverter is damaged.
I searched on amazon for an inverter but I couldn't find any for Inspiron 3521. I found others though:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=dell+inspiron+lcd+inverter&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Adell+inspiron+lcd+inverter
Is it possible there's no such individual part for the 3521? Maybe it's integrated with the screen? Which means I have no choice but replacing the whole screen?

Alaa_1

Honorable
Sep 3, 2015

This problem is driving me crazy...
Thank you for letting me know that. You saved me time of searching for it while it doesn't exist.
So any ideas what could be causing the problem then?
Thanks