Laptop screen went black, tried shift/f8/power button, won't work

Idontevenknow124

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
Hi, so a bit of backstory. My laptop is really old, 6 years now, I have another one, but I only use this one for skyping.

Yesterday I was skpying with someone and they were screen sharing, everything was working perfectly fine until they hung up. Then the entire laptop froze. I couldn't get anything to work. It's never happened to me ever before. So I force shut it off. When I tried to turn it back on, the screen would not turn on and there was no backlight. Looking things up, I used the shift/f8/power button solution and that turned the backlight on.

Now here's where my problem is. I'll see the screen start booting up but then it goes back to the black screen but is still backlight. Every time I do it I get a bit further down the line of starting. But if I just leave it, sometimes I see a flash of something pop up on the screen. But it goes away in less than a second. It still sounds like it's booting up like normal so I don't know if it is something to do with the laptop just being old, or if the monitor is just not working. I still have not tried an external monitor, I have to go buy one, but if anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I left it alone for an hour and just tried turning it on with only the power button this time. It worked and loaded properly, was able to load into my account, and it is now on the regular desktop screen. I am still wondering what happened though and why.. cause just hanging up a skype call seems like a really strange reason for something to break..

Idontevenknow124

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016

It's a HP dv6 from 2011

I did try making it go into bios and it will work but the screen will just go back to black with occasionally something poping up for less than a second

Idontevenknow124

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016

Like you can see that it is on, it has never loaded far enough that you actually get in, it just goes back to a black screen but you can still see that that the backlight is working. and its a HP pavillion dv6-3055dx