Laptop screen won't turn on, but works with external monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charger760

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014
Hello, my laptop screen won't display anything. It boots up and displays perfectly through an hdmi and my T.V.. I can't adjust my screen brightness either, nothing comes up when I use the brightness function keys, the other function keys work fine. I went to device manager and everything under Monitor and Human Interface are updated. Under Monitor the device is Generic PnP. I'm on an Asus laptop, Windows 8, 64 bit. I'd appreciate any advice.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
normaly means dead back light. try turning it on and shining a bright light into the screen if theres an image there the backligt is gone.

if not then its likely the connector between the screen and the motherboard. they tend to break at the bazel.

Charger760

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014

Yea I did, it's f7 for me and I also did Windows key P, tried dual monitor, single monitor and it always just shows up on my T.V. even when I do PC screen only. Thanks for getting back to me, I may have to just take it into a shop.

Charger760

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014

I shone a light and nothing appeared. I just didn't think it would be a hardware issue since the laptops not even letting me use the brightness function, it's almost like the laptop doesn't recognize that there's a screen. Well I might just take it into a shop since it has no warranty. Thanks for getting back to me.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
taking it back is the best option as it sounds like the connection between the screen and the motherboard has broken, cutting the power to the whole of the screen.

reason i said shine a light into the screen (i meant press it up against the screen and look for an image from the reflected light).

diabolusss

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015
Hi there! i had almost the same issue with asus laptop. i was experimenting things on it and after i assambled it back the screen won't turn on in a such way: after boot up i see a bios logo and then windows booting image. after that screen turns off. connecting external screen i assured that pc is fine and windows is working(except the screen). by the way screen is working in bios without connecting external screen. So actually i dont have any soluting now, because i dont know the reason of failure, but i know that something wrong is in windows(i have the same windows 8 and 64 bit). And it's simple to check: first get to bios(you can go into it with external screen and then just unplug that -> if laptop screen turns on then smth wrong is in windows), second boot up from usb flash drive with live cd(i booted from ubuntu) -> it perfectly worked without any issues.

Chullachaqui

Estimable
Mar 20, 2015
I had the same exact problem. After tring everithing, including driver reinstal and system restores, I shut down the laptop and surrender, thinking about how much a new screen will cost me BUT after a couple of hours, I just turn it on, and everything works as usual.

My theory: that was a busy day, I had the laptop working for 12 hours, so maybe something overheated. Just let your laptop rest in a fresh place for a while and try again.

AMDnNVIDIAgamer

Estimable
Apr 16, 2015

Had this same issue with a Lenovo T420 laptop; I cracked the screen and when I used the VGA cable to connect to an external monitor it just showed black.

REASONS: The monitor will display the Windows (or OS) logo until it boots into the OS because during the boot the motherboard displays output to the second monitor however once the OS is loaded the computer switches to Extended Display allowing the user to use both monitors (If they both worked)

SOLUTION
: I was able to get the laptop to display only to the monitor when connected by:
1. Turn off computer completely
2. Connect the VGA cable to the laptop (output) and monitor (input)
3. Power on laptop and Immediately close the cover of the laptop completely shut

RESOLUTION: By doing these steps the BIOS will boot recognizing the monitor as the main and only output option allowing
the monitor to continue to work even after loading the OS (ie. Windows 8)
The laptop will be completely closed therefore you will need a usb or bluetooth keyboard and mouse in order to perform operations going forward

hope this helps
- CG

Toottoot4

Estimable
Sep 30, 2015

Master_H

Estimable
Oct 16, 2015
Gracias!!
funciono perfectamente en Dell E4300 con windows 10

Solo puse a funcionar el monitor con VGA y luego cerré el laptop inmediatamente
y listo funcionaron los dos!, no mas pantalla negra!!

please_answer_this

Estimable
Jan 1, 2016

hwmads

Estimable
Jan 24, 2016

I have same problem with ASUS s400c some time after updating to Windows 10.
Bios and safemode can use laptop display, but during normal boot Bios logo moves from laptop to external hdmi or vga. The external monitor is primary display but extending it to other display in laptop does not turn it on. dxdiag shows both monitors as working. All drivers are updated but I guess next step is to reinstall windows 10 :-/

Don_15

Commendable
Mar 4, 2016

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
I had the same thing happen. It worked on an external monitor but not on the laptop. I didn't do the shining the light test but I assumed it was the back light. It turned out to be the LCD cable. I got it back and the colors were all messed up and I was about to send it back and turned it on and it was back to working and has worked for 4 years since.

imppress

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016
I learned that my customer's Intel HD3000 video chipset has issues upgrading.
It does better upgrading from 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10, reportedly if you need full video capability.

If you need a quick fix, the solution was to go into device manager, right click teh display driver (Intel HD3000 in my case) and select "disable"
This makes Win 10 grab generic drivers.

This restored function to the laptop screen.

Maxi__

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016

Hello and thanks for your help but sadly this fix only works once, when im on the i cant always have my monitor with me. When i try to restart without vga the screen is black again

Status
Not open for further replies.