Laptop shuts down randomly (presumably without any hard ware failure)

Drex__C

Prominent
Apr 19, 2017
My laptop is a K55VD, it has been shutting down randomly since last december. Initially, it was because of the charger. I used to run it on AC but had to always leave my battery inserted because the charger acts up sometimes. I did get it fixed but it may contribute to the problem. Anyway, these have been the first aid I have performed on my laptop since:

1. Removed the shot battery.

- this have remedied the problem for a short while. There were less shut down, but there were still shut downs.

2. Opened the laptop and cleaned the fan.

- this too had provided immediate, albeit short, relief. My laptop heated much lesser than before, and I could feel the fan blowing. I have been using speed fan since.

3. Checked my hdd

- I used multiple disk scanners, particularly seagate, for checking my disks and it passed in all scanners. I also defragmented my hdd just because.

4. Checked my memory

- I checked the RAM with windows memory diagnostic tool. It passed as well.

5. Checked the motherboard?
I didn't know how to do this one.

Anyway, until a few days ago, my laptop has been running. I could get past startup, then it would show a loading sign and then dies. If do get beyond the start up (usually just after one try), once I log into my account, instantly or after a minute, it dies.

I tried experimenting with it. I left it at the user log in for a couple minutes and it did not die, only when I entered my account did it die. Also, like when I was checking the RAM, it did not die so it is less likely that the charger was the problem, however, after the restart, it died. During window scan disks, my laptop didn't die and any scans my laptop does without booting into my OS(is that what you call it?), it does not die.

My suspects could be the charger/power supply, motherboard(?) or a virus.

Just earlier, I was able to get into my account. It died after getting in, though.

So... What should I do? I already ordered a battery in case the power supply is the problem but I'm really worried, is my laptop terminal? I still have another year before I could buy another one. I need it for my thesis. :(

Have you tried starting it up in "Safe Mode" to see if it stays running? If it does, it may well be software and not hardware. Can't hurt to try.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

Drex__C

Prominent
Apr 19, 2017
I had it on safe mode and ran Malwarebytes and Windows Defender. Both detected some potentially unwanted software so I had both removed. There were no problems during safe mode however when I restarted it normally, it died again. I am now trying to do a system restore to see if something would change.