Laptop Shuts Down Randomly

Krokor

Commendable
May 2, 2016
Hi guys!

I have a Asus K455LB laptop (Intel Core 17-5500U, 4GB ram installed and 1 free ram slot) which has been restarting randomly since 2 days ago, when plug in and unplug.

The Laptop randomly shuts down when I am browsing the net using any browser and idling for 10-15 mins. Its quite unpredictable actually. Its like the laptop shuts down whenever it wants to.

When the laptop shuts down, it doesn't undergo through the normal shut down process like every windows do. In this case, the laptop shut downs with a sound of a "Click" like as if someone was pressing the power button forcing the laptop to shut down. After that, the laptop turns on by itself, or I have to press the power button to turn it on manually.

Well I bought the laptop on September last year, so its still considered as new. However a 4 GB ram wasn't really enough for me, so I bought a new ram. Its a Transcend 8GB DDR3L 1600 SODIMM. Like how I mentioned earlier, the laptop has a 4GB ram installed within the motherboard itself. On top of it, is another free slot which you can insert another ram there. My laptop can handle a total of 12GB of ram so 8+4=12.

BIOS detects the new ram. I also did a ram diagnostic and nothing was wrong with it. I got so damn frustrated so I decided to do a full recovery. No luck, the problem is still there, but rarely happen than before.

I'd really appreciate any kind of inputs from any of you guys to solve this issue. I am a Sophomore and I need my laptop to do my daily assignments. Thanks!

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If it will still not boot up, remove the battery again then power it on with just the AC adapter connected and see if it will still shutdown or not.
- Do also try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage and see if the same problem will persist or not.
- Next to try is to remove the added RAM you've installed and see if it will still shut down or not.
- If the laptop will stay on without the added RAM, you may need to try the other RAM slot and observe it again.

Hopefully some of these steps will help. :)

Krokor

Commendable
May 2, 2016

Thanks for the fast respond!

My laptop has a built in battery, which means it is un-removable. Ill try to remove the added RAM and see if it still shuts down.

*UPDATE*
I removed the added ram last night and turned on the laptop. On the login screen, the laptop then shuts down and turned back on. I turned on it again this morning and work well (Godspeed).

Krokor

Commendable
May 2, 2016

Well I wasn't really messin around with my laptop. All I did was added another ram into the extra slot and it when crazy. About the "some form of power or heat problem", the CPU temperature is between 47-50.