Laptop shuts down when unplugged from charger, then works fine

shane1717

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
I have a Acer E5-571-58CG laptop. It charges fully. When I unplug the laptop, it shuts down in 3 seconds, then restarts fine with normal battery life. It may shut down 2 or 3 times then it works fine. This started happening recently-no hardware changes, but I did a system restore recently. I restored it to about 3 days and it worked fine then. Not sure if these are related.

I found the following errors under eventviewer (listing relevant errors).
Critical errors: Kernel-power ID 41 (task category 63) and ID 142 (task category 173), HAL 13 (task category none)
-gives following 3 messages: (1)The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error is caused because the system stopped responding and the hardware watchdog triggered a system reset., (2)The system watchdog timer was triggered., (3)The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Warnings: Kernel-processor power, ID 37 (task category 7) where it says speed of processor is being limited by firmware.

I hope this is an okay section to ask this! Thanks for any advice!

Solution
It's almost certainly an electrical problem. Whether it's the board or the battery, I don't know. Sudden shutdowns are rarely - if ever - the result of drivers or any other software. If the laptop is losing power, that's not any fault of the OS, that's an electrical failure.

You may need to have a good technician check it out. Things like this are hard to trace.

shane1717

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013

Thanks. I found 3 drivers that weren't up to date (maybe something happened during system restore? They were Intel HD Graphics, Synaptics SMI, and Intel Device. Possible something in there made it happen. Will update if I see problem come back. Thanks for the reply!

shane1717

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
The reply above didn't work. It also may be correlated to picking up the laptop when it's still on after disconnecting power cord. For instance, I unplug power cord, pick up laptop to move rooms and it shuts down. Turns on fine right after regardless of if it's plugged in or not.

It's almost certainly an electrical problem. Whether it's the board or the battery, I don't know. Sudden shutdowns are rarely - if ever - the result of drivers or any other software. If the laptop is losing power, that's not any fault of the OS, that's an electrical failure.

You may need to have a good technician check it out. Things like this are hard to trace.

Solution

shane1717

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013

Thanks for the reply. It's still on warranty so I'm just going to send it back. Was just hoping it may have been a small fix but looks like it isn't.