Laptop shuts off though new battery holds charge

2DN

Estimable
May 29, 2014
I have an Acer aspire 4732z 3 yrs old. I just purchased a new battery as laptop has been stating I should consider replacing the battery for about a yr. I concluded it must be right as the battery will fully charge but will spontaneously shutoff on battery power. To turn on, I have to plug in the adapter and the battery would show that it was drained (dead).

New battery charged for 6 hours straight; I was told that is normal. I unplugged and used it about 30 mins when it just shut off. I plugged in adapter and the laptop read 72% and charging so I unplugged adapter and it instantly shut off. I left it charging for a few hours and it would not go up from 72% and read charging. About 3 hours later it changed to 72% and not charging. I left in the adapter, popped out the battery and popped it right back in and the sign changed to fully charged.

The new battery holds charge, the adapter is working properly (charging the battery), but the laptop keeps shutting off. What should I do!?

P.S by shut off i mean as in turning off a TV, NOT shut down.

maxwellmelon

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
is windows shutting it off (loging off and power down) or is just shutting off like you pulled the battery out?

if it shuts off like you just pulled the battery then im not sure what you have going on but if its shuting down windows then turns off you might just have a calabration issue with windows.

if windows is shutting it down you prob need to do a recalibration by going into power management settings and disable all sleep, hibernation, power down actions to "do nothing". then unplug laptop and let it stay on till it just shuts off as windows will not power it down for low battery. then plug laptop in and fully charge battery back up.

outoflock377

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
My Acer Aspire 5553G has exactly the same problem. My battery is not dead but laptop spontaneously crashes on battery power, depends how active it is used. This problem appeared when I opened my laptop to clean it from dust and I still haven't figured out how to solve this.