Laptop shutting down after specific time

JSchwieb

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015
Hello everyone, I have a strange problem that I cannot find an answer to. I bought a hp 2000, the i3 series and I am having a crazy hard time with it....When I got it, after 30 minutes exactly it would shut off, even with everything unhooked it would shut off at exactly 30 minutes. I have even bought a brand new motherboard and it just did the same thing! I am going crazy..

In my bios it says I have a i3-2330m and my motherboard is a 685783-501. I can't find any hp 2000's with this version of i3...is it not compatible? Is my CPU dead? Any help at all would be much appreciated...I got this as a gift for someone and am running low on time now...was hoping the mobo would fix it.

Solution
Sounds like an issue with a BIOS timer of some kind but since you replaced the motherboard I wouldn't think so. Very unusual that it's so specific on it's timeframe. Try removing the main battery, unplug the charging cable, press the power button for about sixty seconds, return the battery and AC charging cable and try again.

To help further I'll need the exact laptop model number which should be printed on the back of the case or under the battery on the case.

Have you tried to see if it does the same thing on both AC power and with only the battery connected? With the battery removed from the unit and only the AC cable connected?

If you don't boot into windows and just leave it in the BIOS does it still shut down at exactly 30...
Sounds like an issue with a BIOS timer of some kind but since you replaced the motherboard I wouldn't think so. Very unusual that it's so specific on it's timeframe. Try removing the main battery, unplug the charging cable, press the power button for about sixty seconds, return the battery and AC charging cable and try again.

To help further I'll need the exact laptop model number which should be printed on the back of the case or under the battery on the case.

Have you tried to see if it does the same thing on both AC power and with only the battery connected? With the battery removed from the unit and only the AC cable connected?

If you don't boot into windows and just leave it in the BIOS does it still shut down at exactly 30 minutes, or only if you boot into windows?

Solution